1. Games
  2. Login
  3. Register
  4. Support
  5. 03:05:38
  6. en

moonID.net - Please discuss stuff about moonID hereDiscussions → Monstersgame Rewrite Status

Nostalgia_kaos
Posted Sept. 23, 2020, 12:59 a.m.

Hi everyone, hope you're doing ok.

I wanted to open this topic for a while now, i forced myself to wait a little longer but i think now is a good moment to do it. So one month from today it will be a year since the announcement of mg rewrite and a couple of months later it was said, in this very section, that developers were trying to launch the rewrite in Q1 2020.

Since we are heading to Q4, what can we expect in the near future? is the development still ongoing or has it been stopped? can you make a new estimation for the launch?

Show comments (1)
aszlig CRATR.games
Posted Sept. 24, 2020, 3:31 p.m.

Since we are heading to Q4, what can we expect in the near future? is the development still ongoing or has it been stopped? can you make a new estimation for the launch?

We did have a few setbacks and a few tangential projects to maintain in the meantime, which contribute one of the reasons (other than maybe a slight degree of overestimation) Q1 didn't work out. However, we're still very much alive and working on the rewrite, but we still can't pinpoint an exact release date other than that we're trying our best to get it done as soon as possible.

On a personal note: Given that the current live version is a huge pain to maintain and even introducing the smallest changes makes me scream (sorry to my neighbours) in horror, I'm very eager to get rid of the old code base ;-)

a!

Show comments (4)
Nostalgia_kaos
Posted Sept. 25, 2020, 12:11 a.m.

Ok! I can't lie, I was hoping for a different answer ahahahahah

Thank you for finding the time to answer and good work!

aszlig CRATR.games
Posted Sept. 26, 2020, 8 a.m.

Hello Zakk04 :-)

But I don't understand this total lack of communication on your part.

Well... I wish I could tell more about this and even reveal a definitive release date, but it's difficult to share details about the project right now since there are a lot of things that are still not set in stone.

Right now, even sharing screenshots of the current version (essentially it's super ugly with debugging output all over the place) could possibly set wrong expectations about how the game will look like.

At some point, we even had an internal devstream (which I do intend to resume), but right now it'd bore the hell out of even our own staff since it's all about type theory at the moment.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about this and people don't assume anything from in-development versions and just love looking at a bunch of data types.

However, my past personal experiences have shown, that as soon as it's all about monoids, functors and monads, viewers tend to be dropping rapidly even though these concepts are very simple and elegant.

(A side note here: There were actually still a few viewers left who actually cared about these things, but we're talking about one or max two persons)

Nevertheless, I'll bring this up for internal discussion to see whether we'd like to go down this route. Maybe not necessarily doing a non-staff devstream but at least talking about some more details.

You know, if you start introducing new concepts, people (me included) tend get very hyped, but as soon as something is not working out, people tend to be very disappointed.

At least there will be an app dedicated to smartphones to adapt to the times?

Let me answer this with a question:

Do you think it would be good idea to rewrite something from scratch and completely forget that the desktop is not the future? :-D

a!

PS: I know I didn't address a few of your other points, but I'd like to have that internal discussion first.

aszlig CRATR.games
Posted Sept. 26, 2020, 8:06 a.m.

Ok! I can't lie, I was hoping for a different answer ahahahahah

@Nostalgia_kaos: Just out of curiosity: Which answer did you expect? =)

Nostalgia_kaos
Posted Sept. 26, 2020, 2:25 p.m.
Edited by Nostalgia_kaos Sept. 26, 2020, 2:26 p.m.

Well you know, I think you can agree with me if I say that from a player perspective it's kind of disappointing knowing that a year after the announcement there is still so much uncertainty.

As far as my gaming experience goes, it's not even about the new features of the game, since nothing as been told in this regard so there's nothing to be excited for. I played this game a lot of years ago, from '06 to '10, so, coming back after ten years, i'm not tired about the old features. But playing alone it defeats the purpose of online gaming.

Moreover as an engineer, although i have no idea of the time and resources employed in this project, and this is a very important premise, when time estimations can't be made, when a lot of thing are not set in stone, it usually means that devolpment is nowhere near the end.

And this increases my pessimism. While it's not obvious that development will follow the same rate as of the past year, tangential projects will always be there, i'll have a guess and say that rewriting a game it's hard :D so in my mind i'm starting to believe that we're talking about late 2021 for the game to be launched.

But of course, as i said before, i know nothing about rms so mine are just hollow words.

I also want to clarify that it's not my intention to criticize anybody. I've enjoyed the game so much that there's nothing but respect for you

Bloodfallen
Posted Oct. 2, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Hello.

I have been a player since 2007 and I still remember those times when the servers were quite active, the game was also different at that time, I could see how the game was being updated over time, I was quite pleased when it was announced that a rewrite of the game was being worked on, since at this time the games for phones attract a larger number of players, for the ease they offer, I think once being released a version of Monsters Game for phones there would be a large number of new players, and many players of the old school as I would return to play.

As for the time it has been taking to take the rewrite, my only problem is that it will not show clear evidence of the progress that has been made, such as a screenshot of how it looks or perhaps mention some new mechanism that will be introduced to the game, another problem is that it has been quite some time since a new server came out, personally I think it would have been easier to wait if they had opened a new server while working on the rewrite.

Anyway I would be happy if we could have that rewrite before the end of the year, or at least a new server while we are still waiting.

Greetings :)

cvd CRATR.games
Posted Oct. 24, 2020, 3:51 p.m.

Hello Bloodfallen -
thank you for your loyalty over this long time. We believe in the game principle of the RedMoon games aka MonstersGame or KnightFight. On the technical side the games are now generations behind. Your idea was ours too. The first approach was to update the existing technical base and then start a new game world. Unfortunately we couldn't bring the old code to a level where we could start a new world with an good feeling.
Therefore we switched to the complete rewrite of the game principle. The new base is now in place and this will be technically one generation ahead. There was little to see for us as well, apart from code. In the meantime we are also working on the frontend, i.e. the visuals, and I am confident that we will soon be able to show a screenshot.

Greetings
cvd

mancha
Posted Nov. 8, 2020, 1:16 a.m.

rewrite of monstersgame is a dream for people who would like to come back and play.. i keep waiting and waiting ... there is no new, and if i could say, it wont be ready not even on q2 the next year .. so forget it guys and maybe one day we can play it again.

gucchan
Posted Nov. 20, 2020, 6:47 p.m.

I'll be looking for this, sounds so cool!

Page:  1
You need to login to add a post.

Connecting... Connecting